I am forty five, divorced, and childless. I do not fit society’s definition of what is “normal” for a woman my age. After my marriage ended, I knew that the traditional route in life was not mine. I would not be the mother, the wife, the home owner. I became comfortable with not “fitting in.”
I have become used to the strange and often cruel responses that people give me when I tell them that I am divorced but that I don’t have any children.
The top 10 responses are:
1) Didn’t you try IVF?
2) Are you a lesbian?
3) You can still adopt, you’re not too old.
4) You waited too long
5) That is so selfish!
6) My cousin’s best friend’s sister got pregnant when she was 50 from taking these herbs!
7) You have your dogs!
8) Who will take care of you when you’re old? Have you thought about that?
9) At least you have a boyfriend so you’re not alone.
10) God doesn’t see fit to bless everybody with children.
For the record, none of these responses is helpful. It is in bad taste to ever say any of these things to a woman who is childless.
I am curious about what you think.